Tuesday, June 3, 2014
First Official Day of Summer!
As summer begins, so does the joy of summer reading. Without the stacks of essays that typically commandeer my time, I can focus on reading for pleasure, reading in preparation, and reading to dream. Reading for pleasure translates into me finally reading those books that I have purchased throughout the year with the intention of reading. Reading in preparation includes reading/re-reading works that I teach during the school year and developing new approaches in hopes that my students will gain a deeper understanding of the novel (fingers crossed). And reading to dream usually means I'm reading about other people's grand adventures dreaming of the day I'll get to take a life-altering, soul-discovering adventure of my own.
So what titles are included on my summer reading list you may ask... well, I'm a sharer. So get those pens to the ready, here we go...
1. Pale Horse, Pale Rider by Katherine Anne Porter
2. Call Me Zelda by Erika Robuck
3. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Shiguro
4. The Scent of Sake by Joyce Lebra
1. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
2. Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer
3. The Stranger by Albert Camus
4. Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
1. Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald
2. Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World by Rita Golden Gelman
3. In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin
4. Long Way Round by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman
I always add and subtract titles as the summer goes on, so this list is subject to change. But, this is the stack on my desk right now.
Let's get lost!
Posted by Brooke Ann Dove at 6:00 PM